Posted: November 14th, 2012 | Author: Sven | Filed under: found on the net | Tags: academic publishing, data publication, demonstrator, economics, enhanced publications, Open Data | Comments Off on Found on the ‘net: OpenAIRE, OA in Economics and Benefits of Open Data
Today I want to point the attention of our readers to some actual developments, articles and blog posts. Actually, there are too many interesting topics to be addressed in single posts. Therefore I collected some facts in a buildup.
Open AIRE releases demonstrators for enhanced publications
The OpenAIRE initiative (www.openaire.eu) has recently released demonstrators for enhanced publications. These focus on linking literature to associated research data and project information in two different disciplines: life sciences and social sciences.
The pilots are ‘work in progress’, but Open AIRE warmly welcomes feedback at this stage from researchers, open science enthusiasts, librarians and all on how the initiative can improve and develop these pilots further, especially from the researcher’s point of view.
The demonstrators are available here: https://www.openaire.eu/en/component/content/article/9-news-events/424-subject-specific-pilots-for-enhanced-publications
To get in touch with Open AIRE directly with any questions, feel free to write an Email to najla.rettberg [at] sub.uni-goettingen.de.
Ross Mounce: Review of Open Access in Economics
Ross Mounce, a PhD student at the University of Bath, wrote an interesting blog post about the development of open access publishing in economics. Ross states that 17% of the overall literature space (1.66 million articles) in 2011 were published open access. This is a comparatively good result. Nevertheless the remaining 83% of all articles are still published closed access. Read the rest of this entry »
Posted: December 5th, 2011 | Author: Sven | Filed under: Projects | Tags: biosciences, Citation, demonstrator, DOI, interviews, journals | 1 Comment »
The SageCite project
, funded by JISC, is releasing interviews with the editors of two leading journals in the Biosciences. The two interviews explore a large range of issues concerning data, scholarly communications and publishers, the links between data and publications and interoperability between data repositories and publishers.
SageCite developed and tested a Citation Framework linking data, methods and publications; Citations of complex network models of disease and associated data have been embedded in leading publications, exploring issues around the citation of data including the compound nature of datasets, description standards and identifiers.
The project worked through a number of workpackages comprising:
* Review and evaluation of options and approaches for data citation
* Understanding the requirements for citing large-scale network models of disease and compound research obejcts
* Demonstration of a citation-enabled workflow using a linked data approach
* Benefits mapping using the “Keeping Research Data Safe 2” taxonomy
* Technical and policy implications of citation by leading publishers
* Dissemination across communities (bio-informatics and research and information communities)
The results of these workpackages are published here – the project now has concluded.